Monday, January 10, 2011

Turtle Sundae Cookies

My mom introduced me to these cookies.  She informed me that it was a matter of life and death that I make these cookies.  Okay.  So it wasn't that serious.  But they were some REALLY good cookies. The version that my mom gave me came from Martha White.  You know Martha White. It's those little packages of muffin and corn bread mixes that use just milk. This recipe uses their Chocolate Chip Muffin Mix.


However, I had to improvise just a little.  Either everyone in Florida bought the muffin mix I needed or they simply don't carry in the store I go to.  I used the Betty Crocker double chocolate muffin mix instead.




For the version I made, you will need:
1 box of double chocolate muffin mix (you only need about 3/4 of the mix)
1/2 stick butter
5 ounces unsweetened baker's chocolate
1 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed mix
2/3 cup of chopped pecans
foiled wrapped chocolate caramel candies


I used Hershey's caramel kisses.  My mom had success with Rolos.  I love Rolos.  


Chop up your pecans into small pieces and unwrap your candies.  




Using a double boiler, melt the chocolate and butter together.  Stir until smooth.   Now add your sweetened condensed milk and stir.


Next, add in your muffin mix.  The batter will become really thick and sticky.


Once you have your batter mixed, scoop out a spoonful and roll it into a ball.  Cover one side with pecans.


Flip the ball around and place it on a well greased cookie sheet or one lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.  As soon as the cookies come out of the oven, place a caramel candy in the center of the cookie.


Wait a few minutes for the candies to melt and smooth it out with a knife.  Or you can always try to put the candy inside the cookie before you bake it.  Use the same method that I used for the Hockey Puck Cookies.  Just make sure you wrap up the candy really well with the cookie dough or it will leak out when you bake it.  Hope you enjoy them.  I sure did!



No comments:

Post a Comment