Friday, September 28, 2012

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies


Today I made chocolate chip oatmeal cookies.  I have been craving these oatmeal raisin cookies all this week.  But I didn't have that much butter, or orange juice concentrate, or enough raisins, or...




And I was feeling kinda lazy (since I woke up at 5:15 to go to yoga) to go to the store for all of it.  So I came across a recipe in a new book I got and promptly rewarded myself with cookies for going to work out.

Balance, people.  It's all about the balance.



This recipe does use shortening, which I am not a fan of when it comes to substituting for butter. But the cookies did turn out pretty well and didn't leave a weird feeling in your mouth.


What you will need for this recipe

3/4 cup of shortening
1 cup of brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup of water
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 cup of all purpose flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
3 cups of quick oats
1 12 ounce package of semi-sweet chocolate chips


Take the first 6 ingredients, from the shortening to the vanilla, and combine them in a mixing bowl. It will look a little lumpy because of the shortening.


Now combine the flour, salt, and baking soda in another bowl.


Note:  I should probably use a bowl that hasn't been stained with marinade and tandoori.  

Throw the flour mix into the shortening mix and combine.


Now dump the oats and chocolate chips in.


That looks wonderful.  Now stir in the chips and oats by hand.

Drop mounds of cookie dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  I did use a portion scoop, but ended up smashing the cookies down a bit.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.

And you are done.

The fluff balance has been restored.

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies - Print Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment