Friday, June 15, 2012

Coffee Cookies

I am slowly stocking my pantry back with baking supplies.  I had to get rid of so much on our move up here.  One of the neat little things I picked up today with this mini container of instant coffee granules.


It's neat because we didn't have them in Florida and we are not a coffee drinking family.  So it was kind of waste of money to buy a huge container when it was just going to sit in the cabinet.

I found this recipe in a book I have had for years but I tweaked it a bit from the original.

Here is what you need

2 teaspoons of instant coffee powder
2 teaspoons of boiling water
2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup of caster (superfine) sugar
1 1/4 cups of all purpose flour
1/2 cup of cornstarch
2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa


Mix the coffee granules and hot water in a cup and set aside until needed.


Mix the flour, cornstarch, and cocoa powder in a large bowl and set that aside as well.


Now cream the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add in the coffee and mix well.


Once the coffee is mixed in, dump the flour mixture in and stir slowly.  You can pick up some speed after a minute.   You just don't want flour flying everywhere.  The mix should look like chocolate ice cream when done.


Now the original recipe says to put the cookie dough into a piping bag fitted with a plain tip and pipe out swirls.  Now I may have the temper of the Incredible Hulk, but I do not have his strength.  I think even the big green guy would have difficulty piping out this thick dough.  I was fine not having swirly piped cookies and decided to scoop them out instead.  I just used a small portion scoop to divide out the dough.


Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes.  And try to ignore the banging in the room.


Let them cool on the pan for a few minutes before you transfer to a cooling rack.  Once the cookies are cool, if you like, melt some chocolate and decorate the tops.  Throw in the fridge for a few minutes for the chocolate to harden.


I have a feeling these will be really good with some vanilla ice cream tonight.   Have a great weekend!


Coffee Cookies - Print Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment