Saturday, September 24, 2011

Granola


Ready for something healthy?  Well...kinda healthy.  I still have to throw chocolate in there.  

My husband bought a container of granola at one of the fancy stores the other week and then was shocked when they asked 10 dollars for the thing.  I made a suggestion that I could make granola for him instead.  Especially when most mixes always have something I don't like and you spend the whole time picking around that said thing and then you are left with a container of just that.  

So I started by asking my husband what he wanted in the granola and here are his requests.  


Raisins, old-fashioned oats, chocolate chips, and almonds.  I used 2 cups of the oats and a half a cup for everything else.  You can always go with your own ratio here.  And of course, you can always add in other things like dried cranberries.


For the seasoning of the oats, combine the following ingredients in a bowl:

1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla
1 teaspoon of salt
1/4 cup of brown sugar
a little more than a 1/3 cup of honey
1/4 cup of maple syrup

Now take the the oats and almonds and pour them into the liquid.


Mix really well and then spread the oats and almonds onto a baking sheet covered in parchment paper.


Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  Stir the mixture half-way through.  Once the 20 minutes is up, let the oats cool completely.  Once the oats are cooled, then you can stir in the chocolate chips, raisins, and other dried fruit you want.  


No comments:

Post a Comment