Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Tropical Cereal Bars


Here is another recipe from my Paula Deen magazine I get in the mail.  Think Rice Krispie treats meets the Bahamas....and cholesterol.  Because you can't have a Paula Deen recipe without butter.



I couldn't help myself.  Yes, these bars have a little bit of butter in them.  Don't worry, I think the Cheerios and pineapple help cancel it out.

What you will need:
4 cups of miniature marshmallows
1/4 butter (1/2 stick)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
5 1/2 cups of toasted oat cereal
1/2 cup chopped dried pineapple
1/4 cup of sweetened flaked coconut, toasted

First step is to chop up your pineapple.  I bought mine at the grocery store near the produce section.


Next toast up some coconut.  As the magazine suggests, you can always go for unsweetened coconut flakes. But sometimes they are a little harder to find.


Throw your marshmallows and butter in a saucepan and turn on low heat.


Once the butter starts to melt, start stirring so the marshmallows are coated with the butter.  This will help them melt a little faster.  Once the marshmallows are melted and stirred smooth, take the saucepan off the heat.  Add in your vanilla.


Pour in your cereal and pineapple and stir.  Sorry.  No pictures.  It's a little hard to stir and click at the same time.  Pour into a lightly greased baking pan and press the mix down.


Sprinkle your toasted coconut on top.  Let the bars cool and then cut into shapes.


And now for something new...

Tropical Cereal Bars - Print Recipe


Slowly, but surely, I am going to have this option on my recipes I blog about.  Just check at the bottom of the post and you get a super easy-to-read version of the recipe to print out if you would like to try some of the desserts at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment