Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Double Chocolate Mint Cookies

I went to the library this weekend and I found this great little cookbook called Tate's Bake Shop Cookbook.  I have heard of Tate's before.  Apparently, she rubs elbows with the Barefoot Contessa.  If you have EVER watched the Food Network, then you know who THAT is.

Anyways, there are quite a few recipes I want to try out of this small book.  The first one I did was these double chocolate mint cookies.  Forgive me, I was playing around with my new favorite app on my phone.  Instagram rules!


What you will need:
1 1/2 cups of semisweet chocolate chips
2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup salted butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar (it calls for dark, but I only had light...they were still wonderful!)
2 teaspoons of vanilla
2 large eggs
1 box of Andes Mints
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips or chunks

First step is to unwrap all of your Andes Mints and break them in half.



Melt the 1 1/2 cups of semisweet chocolate chips in the microwave or in a double boiler.  Once the chocolate is stirred smooth, set it aside so it cools a little.

Now take the flour, baking soda, and salt and combine it in a small bowl.

Now to the mixing.  Cream your butter, sugars, and vanilla together in a bowl until creamy.  Add the eggs and scrape down the bowl.  Now add your cooled melted chocolate to the egg butter mixture and combine until light and fluffy.  Throw in the flour mixture and mix until just combined.  Now stir your mints and remaining chocolate chips in by hand.

Drop the cookie dough onto a cookie sheet or use a portion scoop so they come out all nice and neat. Bake the cookies at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.  I did a small test batch at 10 minutes like the recipe suggests.  The cookies were good, but seemed a little over-baked.  I dropped the time to 8 minutes and let the cookies sit on the cookie sheet for a few minutes when they came out of the oven.  I transferred them to a rack a few minutes later.  There was a HUGE difference in the cookies that were cooked the smaller amount of time.  They were soft and gooey in the middle and the perfect compliment to my glass of milk last night.

Enjoy!

Double Chocolate Mint Cookies - Print Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment