Sunday, May 15, 2011

Nutella Cupcakes


I came across this recipe while browsing Shine at work.  I was bored and that's all you need to know. I waded through beauty tips, best shoes under $50 suggestions, and recipes containing way too many vegetables in my opinion. Then I came across this article.  My heart always skips a beat when I come across anything with the word "Nutella" in it.

If you have never had Nutella, may I make a suggestion?  Go to your local grocery store, stroll down the peanut butter aisle, and buy yourself a jar of Nutella.  It's crushed hazelnuts and cocoa mixed together.  It's amazing with pretzels if I might add.


I only made one alteration to the original recipe.  But here is what you need.

1/4 cup of butter (half a stick) at room temperature
1/4 cup of canola oil
3/4 cup of granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 3/4 cups of all purpose flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 - 1/2 cup of Nutella
I also added about a 1/2  to 3/4 cup of peanut butter to the batter.  Come on....we aren't surprised, are we?

This recipe only makes about 12 cupcakes, but it's really easy to double up the ingredients for a larger batch.  Let's get started!



You know the drill.   Cut the butter into chunks so it won't take as long to get to room temp.


Combine your flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl and set aside.


Now combine the butter, oil, and sugar in a mixing bowl.  Mix on medium speed until well combine.


Add your eggs and vanilla and continue to mix.


Now add the flour mixture and mix on a low speed.  If your mixer starts making a growling noise like it's about to kick the bucket, then kick the speed up a notch.   I promise no harm was done to my KitchenAid mixer.

Mix until it is just combined.  You don't want to over-mix.


Now that your batter is mixed, you can stir in the peanut butter if you like.  The batter should be super thick so when you start to mix in the Nutella, it won't sink to the bottom.


Spoon the batter into cupcake liners and drop a spoonful of Nutella on top.  Take a knife or toothpick and start to swirl.


Bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes.  As the original recipe suggests, there is no need to frost these cupcakes...which is what made them perfect yesterday to take to a cookout.

Nutella Cupcakes - Print Recipe

2 comments:

  1. I'm just catching up on your blog & this Nutella recipe makes me want to rush into the kitchen & bake them NOW. Unfortunately it's late & I'm sleepy & would probably end up burning myself or something, so I suppose I'll have to wait. I love the photos you add to your posts! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete