Friday, November 19, 2010

Top Chef Cookies





I know I am the only one at work that watches Top Chef, let alone Top Chef: Just Desserts.  But during the first season of Just Desserts, I caught myself drooling over one particular dessert made.  Out of all the sorbets and petit fours created I wanted to know how to make Eric's chocolate chip cookie.  You see, I will just about do anything for a good chocolate chip cookie.  Lucky for me and my dignity, Cookie Madness found the recipe.  Let's start off by saying these are not just your average ole chocolate chip cookies.  Do you see how much goodness we are dealing with here people??



Here is what you will need:

340 grams unsalted butter (12 oz) =3 sticks
200 grams granulated sugar (7 oz) = 1 cup
400 grams brown sugar (14 oz) 2 very, very tightly packed cups light brown sugar
21 ounces flour (4 2/3 cup)
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon coarse type Kosher salt (or 1 3/4 teaspoons Morton kosher or table)
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
21 ounces good quality chocolate chopped into chunks



You can actually cut back on the salt even more if you want.  I am going to try these again tonight using only 1 teaspoon of Kosher salt.  


The first step is to melt the butter.  I used really soft butter.  Mine came out a little flatter than what was shown on the show, but I didn't hear any complaints.  You are going to cream the butter and sugars using a mixer.  In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.  Make sure to stir really well so you don't end up with any salty spots.  


Add the eggs slowly to your butter sugar mixture and then add your dry ingredients slowly.  Add a few spoonfuls and scrape down the edges....then add more.  If you add all at once, you will find flour in every corner of your kitchen.  Once combined, stir in the chocolate chunks.  


I portioned out my cookies pretty big, but you can always make them smaller. But with bigger cookies, you will easily yield about 24 buttery, delicious, chocolatey, oops...where was I? Oh yeah, bake at 325.  The time depends on the size of the cookie, but around 15 minutes should be good.  Wait till the edges get a nice golden brown and pull them out of the oven.  Let cool on a rack.  Store in an airtight container and enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment