Thursday, December 1, 2011

Chess Cake


Chess cake always makes me a little homesick.  I always think of my mom when I make this cake.  And it wasn't even a favorite of hers.  I guess it is because I still pull out her recipe card even though I know it by heart.

Now, no one really knows how chess cake or pie got it's name. But according to one of my old culinary school books, the recipe is definitely southern in origin.  And one day a lady made this pie and someone asked what kind of pie it was.  She replied in her sweet southern accent that is was "jess (aka "just" for you northern folks) pie".  "Jess" was mistaken for "chess" and there you have it.


For the crust of the cake, you need the following:

1 box of yellow cake mix
1 stick of butter, melted
1 egg



Mix all three together in one bowl.  It will be very very thick.  



Once it is mixed, press it into a 9x13 inch pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.


For the filling, you will need the following:

3 eggs
1 8 ounce block of cream cheese, softened
16 ounces of powdered sugar

Again, mix all three things together with a mixer.  Do you see how simple this recipe is?


Pour the filling onto the uncooked yellow cake mix and bake for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees. You want the top to be golden brown before you pull it out of the oven.  Once the cake is pulled out of the oven, let it cool completely before storing it in the fridge.  Cut it into small squares and serve when ready.


And now you can tell your friends you have made "jess" a little ole cake.  Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment