Sunday, February 6, 2011

Marshmallow Fondant

So it has been a while since I posted.  I apologize.  I have spent all week trying to thaw out from the negative temperatures and mountains of snow I had to deal with in Boston last week.  My poor weak Florida blood just couldn't take it.

But now that I am back.....let's bring on the fun.

Today I made marshmallow fondant.  The first reason why is because store bought fondant is expensive and tastes funny.  The second reason why is because it gave me an excuse to eat marshmallows by the handful.   Sometimes it's the little things that make me happy.


You will only need a few items.

1 package of mini marshmallows (16 ounces)
2 pounds (about 8 cups) of powdered sugar
2 - 5 Tablespoons of water
vegetable shortening
food coloring is desired

Pour the marshmallows in a microwave safe bowl and add about 2 Tablespoons of water.


Throw the bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds.  Stir the marshmallows.  You need for the marshmallows to be smooth, so you might have to throw them back in the microwave again.  Just keep the time to 30 second intervals and you should be fine.

Once the marshmallows are smooth, add about 3/4 of the powdered sugar to the bowl.  Fold the sugar in.

Now to incorporate the rest of the sugar, you will knead the fondant while sprinkling in the sugar. You can do this by using the tried and true method of tossing it on the counter and kneading it like bread dough or you can cheat and use your handy dandy stand mixer.  I cheated.  I'm not afraid to admit it.  With either method you choose, this is where the vegetable shortening comes in handy. Spread it on the counter where you are going to knead the fondant or line your bowl and dough hook with it.  It just helps keep the fondant from sticking everywhere.


If your dough is too crumbly, add a little more water and continue kneading.  If it is too wet, you can add a little more powdered sugar.  But you want a texture that is nice and smooth when finished.  If you want to add color to the entire batch, you can do so during the kneading process.  Or you can break off small pieces and add color later if you want more options.

Once it is mixed, wrap in plastic wrap and store in the fridge overnight.


When ready to use, bring the fondant to room temperature.  Roll out to desired thickness and cut out shapes or letters for decorations.  Stay tuned for my plans for my pink marshmallow fondant!

Marshmallow Fondant - Print Recipe

1 comment:

  1. Cool! I've always wondered how to make fondant. Now I know. :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete